Major retailers sent their subscribers a record number of promotional email during 2012 as the shift continues from traditional marketing channels to higher ROI digital marketing channels. During 2012, the top online retailers sent each of their subscribers an average of 210 promotional emails, which is an increase of 19% over the 177 emails sent in 2011.
Since 2007, retailers have increased the number of promotional emails they have sent to each of their subscribers by more than 120%.
The biggest monthly year-over-year increases occurred in January, February and October; and volume growth was slowest in December, March and April.
Over the course of 2012, the busiest email marketing days were:
1. Cyber Monday (Nov. 26), with 93% of major online retailers sending their subscribers at least one promotional email
2. Free Shipping Day (Dec. 17), 87%
3. Green Monday (Dec. 10), 84%
4. Thanksgiving (Nov. 22), 83%
5. Dec. 6, 80%
Last year the top email marketing days were:
1. Cyber Monday (Nov. 28), 87%
2. Black Friday (Nov. 25), 81%
3. Thanksgiving (Nov. 24), 75%
4. Last Sleigh Day (Dec. 21 – end of guaranteed Christmas delivery with express shipping for most retailers), 74%
5. Green Monday (Dec. 12), 73%